Updating an adopted installation from 4.54

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 10:27:47 IST 2008

2008/6/16 Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us>:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:49:36AM -0800, Kevin Miller wrote:
>>> Welcome to MailScanner - almost as much fun as Rivendell!
>>
>> Everyone's Following Me!!! :-)
>
> Great minds think alike? <g>
>

>> I meant to say: Slack 10.2.  It's in /opt/MailScanner.version with a
>> symlink to it from /opt/MailScanner.
>
> Hmmm - I'm not sure but it sounds like they did a source compile
> installation.  My stuff lands in /usr/lib/MailScanner (and
> /etc/MailScanner of course) by default which I think is SOP for the rpm
> installs.  Could be wrong on that - never had to look too closely.  Not
> sure what the best practice is for that.  I'm sure someone will chime in
> on it.  This is a great group.
>

>> Wow, there's a lot of stuff in my maillogs...
>
> Yeah.  Email gateways are busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking
> contest.
>

>> I saw something about that.  I'm strongly considering just building a
>> new dedicated machine (this one is shared) and forklift-upgrading...
>> would I need to bring training databases along for that?
>
> If you have a box or two to put it on, that would be the best way to go.
> It's saved my bacon more than once.  And yes, you definitely want to
> migrate the bayes databases over.  It's a wealth of data customized to
> your site.  Whenever I've had to build a box from scratch I just copy
> over /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf and the bayes database to the new
> machine.  There's a few minor edits in the .conf file (hostname and the
> like) but just drop the bayes files in place and you'll hit the ground
> running...

That's pretty much how you upgrade the source dist too:-).
Install the new one to its own directory in /opt, use
upgrade_MailScanner_conf on the old file, copy over any modified
ruleset files... stop MS, relink to the new install, star
MailScanner... Did I miss anything? Don't think so:-)

Cheers
--
-- Glenn