Spamassassin is slow - any tips or good commercial alternative?

Charlie mi6 at orcon.net.nz
Sat Jun 14 03:49:05 IST 2008

>  >If it is a load problem you should try to reduce the amount of mail
>  >reaching SpamAssassin in the first place. RBLs come to mind. Or (since
>  >you asked for a commercial solution) have a look at BarricadeMX from
>  >FSL. BMX will greatly reduce the amount of mail reaching your MTA.
> Our userbase means that over 99% of emails sent through the server are
> *not* spam, so any limiting of the emails reaching the MTA would not help.
>
>So if 99% of your mail isn't spam, then why bother using >spamassassin?
>I would dare to say that 65 - 75% of the mail that "attempts" delivery
>here IS
>spam. Some days it is over 90%, especially on the weekends when >we get very
>little legit mail.

The reason I wanted to catch the 1% that is spam is so the server doesn't
get blacklisted. People are paying money for the service, hence I need to
pay more attention to making sure it stays off blacklists than if I was
just an ISP offering a free service.

I'll try all the suggestions on Monday and provide an update then - thanks
for all the assistance!