Stop Virus Scanning

Stephen Swaney steve at fsl.com
Sun Jun 8 15:25:48 IST 2008

Rob Kettle wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
>> 2008/6/8 Rob Kettle <rob at kettle.org.uk>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to be able to ignore certain users and not do any virus
>>> scanning for
>>> them.
>>>
>>> I have set Mailscanner to show  Virus Scanning =
>>> /etc/MailScanner/rules/scan.messages.rules
>>>
>>> and then in that file put:
>>> From:        someuser at thedomain.org.uk    no
>>> FromOrTo:    default        yes
>>>
>>> It still scans for virus according the the logfile.
>>>
>>> Am I missing the obvious ? If so apoogies up front.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Rob
>>>

>> Did your reload/restart MailScanner after the edit?
>>
>> BTW, why would you do this? Avoiding all scanning, or spam
>> sanning...that I might understand, but only AV?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Hi,
>
> I did reload Mailscanner.
>
> I was aksing about stopping virus scanning at this stage but the real
> goal is to bypass all scanning for certain users as their mail needs
> to be scanned/quarantined etc. on a server that this server hands the
> mail over to.
>
> So in reality I actually want to bypass all scanning for certain from
> or to addresses and just have Mailscanner take the mail in and pass it
> off to another server.
>
> thanks
> Rob

Simple. In Mailscanner.conf:

Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/scan.messages.rules

# can skip all scanning of mail destined for some of your users/customers
# and still scan all the rest.
# A sample ruleset would look like this:
#   To:       bad.customer.com  no
#   From:     ignore.domain.com no
#   FromOrTo: default           yes
# That will scan all mail except mail to bad.customer.com and mail from
# ignore.domain.com. To set this up, put the 3 lines above into a file
# called /etc/MailScanner/rules/scan.messages.rules and set the next line to
# Scan Messages = %rules-dir%/scan.messages.rules
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset (as illustrated above).

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com