postfix: Process did not exit cleanly, returned 1 with signal 0

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jun 5 18:44:41 IST 2008

on 6-5-2008 10:04 AM Dave Jenkins spake the following:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list . I have successfully run MailScanner with
> sendmail for a couple of years, now setting it up with postfix on
> another server.
>
> MailScanner & postfix have mostly been running happily for a few
> weeks, averaging about 5 msgs/min. But on two occasions we've had
> defunct MailScanner processes and the error "postfix: Process did not
> exit cleanly, returned 1 with signal 0".
>
> Once the error & the defunct processes started appearing, there was an
> ever-growing "Found N messages waiting" (got to 480 first time) and no
> mail getting through. /var/log/maillog revealed that the same batch of
> 30 messages was being scanned over & over.
>
> Disabling virus scanning in MailScanner.conf, didn't help. Neither did
> removing all "yes" entries from
> /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.checking.rules, leaving default "no". (I
> restarted MailScanner after each change.) Finally I turned off
> scanning (Scan Messages = no) and this allowed the queue to clear.
>
> I then switched scanning, virus and spamassassin back on (i.e.
> restored previous config) and it then ran fine. I'm wondering if it
> was a peculiarity of one of the messages that caused MailScanner to
> crash.
>
> The second time it happened, before clearing the queue I took a copy
> of /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming; will that help in debugging the
> problem? If so, what should I do with it and if not, what should I do
> next time it happens?
>
> Software:
> Centos 5
> postfix-2.3.3-2
> mailscanner-4.69.8-1 from rpm from mailscanner.info
> clamav-0.93-2.el5.rf
> spamassassin-3.1.9-1.el5
>
> Hardware:
> CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor
> RAM: 2G
> DIsks: 2 x 500GB SATA in software RAID-1
>
> Thanks,
> Dave.
If a single message brought down the system, it is usually the oldest message
in the queue. So if you copied the queue, and the times are preserved, you
could look there. Many times what kills postfix is non-queue files in the
queue directory.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and