Windows Exchange Server

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Tue Jun 3 09:19:32 IST 2008

markee wrote:
> For inter-exchange traffic, use Exchange IMF (intelligne Message Filter)
> It's a plugin that is very easy to use and setup. This should get you
> started:
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/microsoft-exchange-intelligent-message-f
> ilter.html
>
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Intelligent-Message-Filter-version-2-IMF
> -v2.html
>
> Otherwise - do as everyone else has suggested. Put MailScanner on a box
> before exchange and let it (and the MTA) do all the work.

I think that by far the best option is to use your mailscanner machine
as a filter prior to going to exchange,  you can you is then as a
smarthost on the way out as well.  This will avoid the very perilous
method of having your Windows SMTP MTA facing the internet and is the
most robust and effective solution all round.

I have numerous clients doing it this way and it just works.  If you are
using sendmail as your MailScanner MTA I can provide complete help on
how to make this work with MailScanner and exchange (all versions).

All the Exchange options and Microsoft based solutions tend to be the
"inflatable dinghy" approach to filtering whereas MailScanner is the
battleship solution, and it costs less.

P.

dangerous content by the Inexcom system Scanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Advanced heuristic mail scanning server [-].
http://www.inexcom.co.uk