dying children?

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Jul 29 22:07:08 IST 2008

Jon Dustin wrote:

>> What output do you get from --debug?  As it might not be a problem with
>> MailScanner but one of the associated utilities.
>
> Here is the output from --debug --debug-sa
>
> 13:27:38 [31635] dbg: learn: auto-learn? ham=0.1, spam=12, body-points=0.288, head-points=0.288, learned-points=-2.599
> 13:27:38 [31635] dbg: learn: auto-learn? no: inside auto-learn thresholds, not considered ham or spam
> Segmentation fault
>
> Anything else to try?
>
> PS - My MailScanner(s) are working much better since I have removed this nasty message.

That would seem to indicate a problem with a Perl module that uses XS
(e.g. C functions into Perl) and not with MailScanner itself.

You would have to install 'strace' and run the message through again
like so:

strace MailScanner --debug --debug-sa

And then look at around the last 25-50 lines or so for clues.

I've seen this happen before; mainly with Mail::ClamAV (which is why I
prefer clamd now); but I've seen it happen with other modules too.

Regards,
Steve.