Convicted spammer dies in murder suicide

Mike Andrews W5EGO mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Mon Jul 28 16:19:15 IST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:52:15AM -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> This just shows what kind of morally deranged people we are defending
> ourselves against.
>
> http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Spam-King-in-MurderSuicide/?kc=EWKNLEDP07282008A

My wife was executive director of a non-profit working in the mental
health field, which meant that I got more exposure to the field and to
her org's clients than I was really comfortable with. Far more, I
hasten to assure you.

I think it is much more probable that he was not fully sane when he
did this, than that he was simply morally deranged. The psychiatrists
and psychologists I'm acquainted with -- more than a few -- tell me
that folks who attempt suicide generally aren't thinking either well or
clearly at the time. Judging by those folks I've met who attempted it,
but didn't complete the act, I'm minded to agree.

That does not mean that I excuse his act. I find it reprehensible and
horrifying. It shocks me to the core. But the person who did it was
not, I sincerely believe, thinking well or clearly, and might not have
been able to pass the M'Naghten (or Mcnaughton) test.

In happier (for us, not for him) news, Robert Soloway was sentenced
last week to 27 months in Federal prison. The defense had asked for 2
years, the prosecution for 6, and the maximum if the judge had chosen
to throw the book at him was 26 years. He has about 55 days to report
to prison.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion of how rules work, where
SpamAssassin's stuff lives, why Bayes isn't working, and how to get
the new version of MailScanner working. In short, "Break's over; back
on your heads."

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx