Watch it: Multiple DNS implementationsvulnerableto cachepoisoning

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jul 14 19:18:53 IST 2008

on 7-11-2008 10:40 PM Anthony Cartmell spake the following:
>> Another good example of why Fedora is not the best choice for a server
>> if it
>> is going to be expected to operate more than 18 months
>
> ...unless you're happy to upgrade on a roughly annual basis to benefit
> from more up-to-date stable versions of the main packages, such as perl,
> apache, MySQL, PHP, etc.
> (see problems installing recent MainScanner versions on machines with
> old perl installations earlier)
>
> We've been here before - Fedora is an excellent server OS for people
> like me, running web servers requiring up-to-date packages. It may not
> be if your situation means upgrading OS versions is expensive and you
> have no need for recent software packages installed automatically.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Anthony
That is why I qualified the end of my statement with " if it is going to be
expected to operate for more than 18 months". A server farm of virtual and
real servers installs can be automated rather easily, and having the latest
and greatest for systems that sometimes get a 6 month or year contract and
then fall off when they get abandoned wouldn't be as big a deal.
But I sure wouldn't want to be the guy that had to re-install a few hundred
servers every year or so.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and