filename checks = wrong filename report

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jul 11 14:37:44 IST 2008

Sylvain Phaneuf wrote:

>> The filename in the report is the sanitized version. I've had the same
>> problem explaining to users that the original filename was longer than
>> 150 characters when the reported one is clearly shorter. I just added
>> a few explaining words to the reports to solve the problem.
>>

> I would rather have a report that is not using a "sanitized version" if it were possible.

And what happens when someone sends you an attachment whose filename is
very long and contains embedded newlines and whitespace and stuff like
that. Now you can embed a MIME section in the filename itself. Now you
can generate a report that actually has an attachment in it, solely
created by the "filename" of the rogue attachment. Now you can actually
embed a virus in the report, using the report of the original "filename"
as the vector for including it.

Oh yes, I want that! :-(

Sorry, but this is a *very* bad idea, and I'm not going to write it.

I only ever put sanitised versions of filenames in any output produced
by MailScanner. Otherwise some bright spark will work out how to do what
I describe above. MailScanner has a very good reputation in the software
security world, and I intend to keep it. :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?