Watch it: Multiple DNS implementations vulnerable to cache poisoning

Ian cobalt-users1 at fishnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 12:50:38 IST 2008

On 9 Jul 2008 at 17:50, Ken A wrote:

> This nice little tool was posted to the dns operations list.
> Cut and paste this into your linux or BSD (Mac) to check your configured
> DNS resolver for cache poisoning vulnerability.
>
> dig +short porttest.dns-oarc.net TXT
>
> In windows you can use nslookup
>  > nslookup
>  > set type=txt
>  > porttest.dns-oarc.net
>
> Might be good to know how spoofable the DNS you are using is!
>
> Ken

Hi,

Thanks for this Ken, its helped me fix several configs that I thought were ok! They were
patched but still had a query-source set.  Had to fiddle with some firewalls too.

On windows though I don't see the same results as on linux:

nslookup
 > set type=txt
 > set timeout=30
 > porttest.dns-oarc.net

porttest.dns-oarc.net   canonical name =
z.y.x.w.v.u.t.s.r.q.p.o.n.m.l.k.j.i.h.g.f.e.d.c.b.a.pt.dns-oarc.net

ie no actual TXT record

Any ideas?

Regards

Ian