Sendmail/mailscanner intermittent problem with sendmail acceptingmessages but not being handed to mailscanner

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Wed Jul 9 16:21:04 IST 2008

Gordon Colyn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone experiencing problems where mail is just disappearing.  We get the
> initial mail coming in but then it seems to just disappear...
> Jul  9 16:00:30 mx01 sendmail[25610]: m69DxOSG025610:
> from=<Cristina.Kusterle at illy.it>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=1, proto=ESMTP,
> daemon=MTA, relay=host134-57-static.82-213-b.business.telecomitalia.it
> [213.82.57.134]No more records....

I assume you added that "No more records...." to the end.
That log entry (minus the "No more records....") just means that
213.82.57.134 connected, then quit. You can duplicate this on the server
with this:

telnet localhost 25
helo localhost
mail from: <you at yourdomain.com>
rcpt to: <you at yourdomain.com>
quit

You can turn up the logging in sendmail if you want more info, or use
tcpdump to see this happening.

Ken

--
Ken Anderson