Run MScanner in a virtualized environment.

Guy Story KC5GOI kc5goi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 17:20:36 IST 2008

I am running VMWare.  I have allocated off 1 gig of ram with a dual core 3
GHz Xeon, it runs Postgrey, Postfix, Mailscanner, ClamAV, and Spamassassin
for 100 employees.  I run 4 max childern and a scan interval of 10 seconds.
I do not have full stats on dropped connections.  According to AWStats for
this month so far:

51197 code 554 access denied
4210 code 450 DNS check failures, mailbox busy or other reasons
1286 code 550 relaying denied unknown users
13 code 999 unknown error

Our mail server is very responsive and solid.  The only time I see more than
the 10 second scan interval as a delay is the first time an address hits
Postgrey.  I have Postfix running rbls for me.  I prefer to deny the
connection so my load in general is reduced.

My rational for running in a vm is disaster recovery.  I back this vm up
monthly offsite.

Guy

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Ghetti, Ron <
Ron.Ghetti at town.barnstable.ma.us> wrote:

> Running here on vmware, it took a bit of tweaking
> To get it to keep up when we get busy.
> No virus scanning as it is handled elsewhere.
> Although, I'd like to re-enable it but av scanning just kills it.
> The network load factor is generally all the spam attempts.
> I think it's dropping about 10 - 20,000 connections a day.
>
> Here are some numbers.
>
> There were 2,110 Messages Sent from internal Users.
> There were 0 virus infected messages removed.
> There were 12,814 Total messages Recieved.
> There were 4,072 Messages Delivered.
> There were 6,981 messages marked as spam.
> There were 7,794 Messages rejected due to bad recipients.
> There were 323 Messages rejected due to bad Sender Addresses (Domain Not
> Found)
> There were 996 Messages rejected due to embedded-attached images ( image
> spam )
> There were 4 Attempted Message Relays.
> There were 13,379 Connections Dropped.
> There were 22,505 rejected in Total.