OT - "did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN"

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Thu Jul 3 15:13:12 IST 2008

Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008 8:35 am, Peter Farrow wrote:
>
>> Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I hope it's OK to ask this here of you bright people, as come up with no
>>> answer despite a mythic search:
>>>
>>> I recntly got a smart phone, primarily so that I could manage my network
>>> in an emergency if away from the office and a computer.  (As an aside,
>>> using the mobile versions of OpenVPN, VNC, and Putty, among others, I'm
>>> able to do so quite nicely). As another peice, I'd like to connect to our
>>> Sendmail MTA (used in conjuction with MailScanner, MailWatch,
>>> Spamassassin, clamav, Synonym) for emailing purposes. I've tried a few
>>> different MUA's, and can receive mail, but am unable to send it.  The
>>> error at the seerver is:
>>>
>>> Jul  2 10:07:10 mail1 sendmail[26498]: m62E6fSg026498:
>>> 81.sub-75-221-91.myvzw.com [75.221.91.81] did not issue
>>> MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
>>>
>>> I feel I should know how to configure my mail system to accept mail from
>>> this source, but I don't. Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>
>> When Sendmail reports this in the logs, it means that the sending agent
>> disconnected prematurely without sending any (valid) response to the
>> greeting.
>>
>> You can replicate the error by telneting to port 25 on the sendmail
>> machine and then simply disconnecting before even beginning the smtp
>> communication.
>>
>> P.
>>

> Thanks, Peter.  Curious that no matter which MUA I use, I get the same
> response. Any idea how I would overcome the issue?
>
> Dimitri

If you are using greetpause feature or have a reverse lookup for
blacklists in your sendmail.mc it mail be causing a delay before your
sendmail MTA issues its greeting, this delay may be too long for your
MUA causing this to be logged as the MUA disconnects prior to the greeting.

P.

--
horizontal ruler

Peter Farrow
Inexcom Logo
Inexcom Ltd
Office: 	08450 949 747
Fax: 	01249 461 548
Mobile: 	07799605617
Skype: 	peter_farrow
Web: 	www.inexcom.co.uk <http://www.inexcom.co.uk>
Registered in England and Wales, number:05598456

dangerous content by the Inexcom system Scanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Advanced heuristic mail scanning server [-].
http://www.inexcom.co.uk