OT - "did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN"

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Thu Jul 3 13:35:10 IST 2008

Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I hope it's OK to ask this here of you bright people, as come up with no
> answer despite a mythic search:
>
> I recntly got a smart phone, primarily so that I could manage my network in an
> emergency if away from the office and a computer.  (As an aside, using the
> mobile versions of OpenVPN, VNC, and Putty, among others, I'm able to do so
> quite nicely). As another peice, I'd like to connect to our Sendmail MTA
> (used in conjuction with MailScanner, MailWatch, Spamassassin, clamav,
> Synonym) for emailing purposes. I've tried a few different MUA's, and can
> receive mail, but am unable to send it.  The error at the seerver is:
>
> Jul  2 10:07:10 mail1 sendmail[26498]: m62E6fSg026498:
> 81.sub-75-221-91.myvzw.com [75.221.91.81] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN
> during connection to MTA
>
> I feel I should know how to configure my mail system to accept mail from this
> source, but I don't. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Dimitri

When Sendmail reports this in the logs, it means that the sending agent
disconnected prematurely without sending any (valid) response to the
greeting.

You can replicate the error by telneting to port 25 on the sendmail
machine and then simply disconnecting before even beginning the smtp
communication.

P.

dangerous content by the Inexcom system Scanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Advanced heuristic mail scanning server [-].
http://www.inexcom.co.uk