Centos 4.6 post Yum update / perl-IO - Watch it!!!!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jul 2 15:29:08 IST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:07:19AM +0200, Alex Broens wrote:
> On a running MailScanner 4.69.8 / Centos 4.6 box, after "latest yum
> upgrade" MailScanner refused to start due to
>
> **** ERROR: You must upgrade your perl IO module to at least
> **** ERROR: version 1.2301 or MailScanner will not work!
>
> a "cpan upgrade IO" fixed it BUT as others have stated, if we start
> seeing frequent module version issues, Julian's "easy & safe" package
> becomes questionable.
>
> comments?

Ah... dependency hell.

My favorite solution to this problem was the makedeps/testdeps approach
I saw in one of my favorite packages, but I don't remember which one it
was...

While I'm babbling on, though, I'd like to see some more commentary
concerning on-machine upgrades, and specifically, what effort there has
been made to make backing out such updates easier if they fail without
having to have a second machine.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.