Trend Micro Sues Barracuda Over Open Source Anti-Virus

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed Jan 30 16:06:33 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:07:56PM +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> dnsadmin 1bigthink.com wrote:
>
> | Any good, dead lawyer jokes, anybody?
>
> Perhaps we should put layers to good use and let them sue Osama in person.
>
> But in fact it does not matter what scanner you use. The way they put it
> any viruscanner called upon by MailScanner is a violation of the patent
> as well. So if Trend Micro can get away with this then we are all up
> against the legal wall as well.
>
> Hugo.

Well, I understand that one of the patent authors was involved in a
malware-filtering project at a previous job, and then came to work
for Barracuda. That, if true, could make life a little interesting
for Trend.

But the patent, as I understand it, doesn't cover MailScanner's mode
of operation.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx