Trend Micro Sues Barracuda Over Open Source Anti-Virus

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue Jan 29 21:05:25 GMT 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Having had a quick flick through the patent itself, it does not appear
> to apply to my design of MailScanner, as it's not a proxy server in
> any form.

I've never looked at the Barracuda but I wouldn't have called it a proxy
either.  But maybe it is, in some sense of the word.  Hopefully this
action will cause the patent to be overturned.

I think I'm going to patent the lining up of soup cans on a grocery
store shelf.  Makes about as much sense. :-)

> But it does affect just about every other system on the planet. This
> really should never have been allowed as a patent. Fortunately the EU
> doesn't have software patents, so they couldn't come after me even if
> they wanted to, or could :-)

What about the Fortress System devices?  Hope they fall in the same
category as Mailscanner.

> These guys really are low-life pond weed.

You're too generous in your assessment Jules...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500