Trend Micro Sues Barracuda Over Open Source Anti-Virus

dnsadmin 1bigthink.com dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com
Tue Jan 29 20:33:09 GMT 2008

At 02:37 PM 1/29/2008, you wrote:

>On Jan 29, 2008 2:26 PM, Nigel Kendrick
><support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk> wrote:
> > "Anti-virus firm Trend Micro is suing Barracuda Networks over their use of
> > the open source anti-virus product ClamAV. The issue is Trend
> Micro's patent
> > on 'anti-virus detection on an SMTP or FTP gateway'. Companies
> like Symantec
> > and McAfee are already paying licensing fees to Trend Micro."
>
>I noticed that too.  Not too impressive on Trend Micro's part.  :|
>Pretty much ensuring I'll never touch another one of their products.

I agree.

BTW, Barracuda is looking for 'prior art' if anyone can or cares to submit:
http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/legal/#how_to_help

These lawyers for Trend Micro obviously don't know how to run a
business, but this business move shows that Trend Micro does not
either. This is a poor business move.

..as per usual, the only winners will be the lawyers.

Any good, dead lawyer jokes, anybody?

believed to be clean.