How to know if I'm blacklisted

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Jan 28 23:54:17 GMT 2008

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 28/01/2008, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
>> Glenn Steen wrote:
>>
>> 3 messages were delivered after being delayed that were not tagged as spam by
>> SpamAssassin. (somewhat indicative of FP rate for the greylist, but might be a
>> correct positive of the greylist, and a FN of spamassassin.)
>>
>> None of those 3 FPs were bareword helo's. (one was a FP of SORBS-DUL, and 2 were
>> servers with generic ip-based reverse-dns)
>>
> Ah. The thing I love best about things like this (especially when one
> can safely do rejects instead of slightly more costly things like a
> greylist) is the minimal effort MY systems have to spend on it:-).

Greylists are pretty cheap resource wise if you use them smartly.

Sure, unlike rejects they have some resource usage, but it's a *whole* lot less
than accepting the message, transferring a DATA phase, running it through
SpamAssassin, and tagging/deleting it.

So, I blacklist what I can, greylist what I can, and the rest gets to
MailScanner and SA.

You might want to consider them too, even if your blacklisting is more
aggressive than mine, your greylisting can still be even more aggressive than that.

I'm sure you've encountered at least one situation where some particular
blacklist criteria was causing an unacceptable level of false positives. It's
those kind of situations I look at and say "can I turn that into a greylist?"
instead of "well, I guess I'll remove it".

My whole greylist database for 300+ email accounts is 1.3mb, in tab-delimited
text format. Sure, it's 44kb a user, but it's also only 44kb a user.