OT: Web Mail Client

Juan Pablo Lorier jplorier at montecarlotv.com.uy
Mon Jan 28 11:05:05 GMT 2008

Mike,

We actually use Scalix as our corporate mail. It's a nice solution that
can substitute Exchange very well. Of course, it won't do everything as
nicely as exchange + outlook because you know Microsoft keeps many
secrets to prevent others from working with their products. But in the
other hand, you can do great things like having a lot of "basic" users
(those that won't connect to Scalix via mapi) at no cost and just
reserve the licenses to your corporate users, work with a main LDAP
directory that can integrate all your samba, proxy, web, ftp, etc
servers for central authentication and so on.
Of course, one of the best things is the price, you really can set up a
system with a fraction of the cost that exchange would cost.
We have a mail gateway running mailscanner on sendmail that filters all
the incoming mails and then redirects them to Scalix server. It works
fine, and even can authenticate imap and pop users for road warriors
using rimap against the Scalix server.
The advantage of this set up is that you can split the servers for
scanning and mail services in order to get two cheap servers instead of
an expensive one and also give security. I use a NAT rule in the
firewall to redirect all smpt traffic to the mailscanner server and
then, all the possible attacks go against mailscanner that has no
sensible data.
In performance, if you have an spam attack or whatever takes mailscanner
to use many resources, the users won't get affected because all their
local mail and server attention keeps the same. Even outgoing mail is
not affected, only the incoming.
Don't hesitate trying it, you have a community version that runs just
like the commercial but with limited "premium users" that are the mapi
capable ones.
Then you also have small business edition and enterprise edition that
let you spread the services among multiple servers if you have a large
facility like an ISP.
I hope this can help