[OT] my server is blacklisted

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Jan 23 17:02:05 GMT 2008

Andrea Bazzanini wrote:
> Hello guys...
>
> i find some errors in my postfix log, some errors report this message.
>
> (host mail1.zonnet.nl[62.58.50.83] refused to talk to me: 551-
> 83-103-29-7.ip.fastwebnet.it is blacklisted by domains.rbl.zonnet.net
> 551- Reason supplied: 551- ip.fastwebnet.it is residential, use your
> ISP's SMTP server. hostmaster at versatel.nl 551 Closing connection.)
>
> Ok, i'm not a residential user... Do you know how i can remove my ip
> from this blacklist (and other too) ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help
>
> AndreA
>
> NB: Sorry about my english

It appears to be instigated by the fact that your reverse DNS isn't set up in a
manner that would be typical of a commercial site. They're blacklisting anything
that reverse-dns lookups to "*.ip.fastwebnet.it", and probably reasonably so.
(any legitimate mailserver really should have a proper reverse DNS, not an ISP
supplied default.)

So, if you've got a commercial line service, get fastweb.it to set the PTR
record for 83.103.29.7 to smtp.guttadauro.net instead of
83-103-29-7.ip.fastwebnet.it. That should fix your troubles.