How to know if I'm blacklisted (SOLVED)

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Sat Jan 19 11:42:11 GMT 2008

Glenn Steen wrote:
>> I've now learned it is legal to refuse them if they're syntactically invalid,
>> because such a HELO would cause your server to violate format requirements for
>>
>> The rest, we're still exploring. It will be interesting to see where we end up.
>>
> Unfortunately, that is likely as far as we'll get... But that in and
> of itself isn't bad... That one can use a cheap syntactical check to
> refuse crud is ... very good indeed.
> I'll give you some numbers, come Monday... There used to be quite a
> few valid senders falling afoul of stuff like this, but ... a friendly
> reminder to be RFC-compliant to the admin usually sorted that, so
> now... It's (almost) only spammers falling afoul of this.

This isn't too prevalent any more - these stats are from a large hosting
provider for almost the last 2 days:

214-2.0.0 age=148851 (01 17:20:51)
214-2.0.0 004 CLIENTS=584847 (100.00%)
214-2.0.0 031 rfc2821-strict-helo=1840 (0.31%)

And the top 10 HELO strings over the same period:

      63 HELO billgates argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      28 HELO 193.138.156.135 argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      25 HELO mailing argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      25 HELO 7E440737996447C argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      20 HELO ZZWLINE argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      20 HELO xc5 argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      20 HELO tr4juyu argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      20 HELO OEM-MICRO argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      20 HELO image argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal
      15 HELO sr-forever argument must be a FQDN or IP-domain literal

But - it is still a good, cheap test as that is potentially 1840
messages that didn't need to go through SpamAssassin.  Greeting pause is
still better though (and almost as cheap):

214-2.0.0 037 smtp-greet-pause=7309 (1.25%)

Cheers,
Steve.