How to know if I'm blacklisted

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 08:32:43 GMT 2008

On 18/01/2008, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
> > Glenn Steen wrote:
> >> On 16/01/2008, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
> >> (snip)
> >>>
> >> Um, not misguided as in "that could be anything". At least 2821 is
> >> pretty clear that the argument to EHLO (use of which is only a SHOULD
> >> in conjunction with the stipulation that "if you don't use EHLO you
> >> MUST use HELO", more or less) need be a FQDN, unless you are operating
> >> in a situation where such isn't valid (no valid reverse lookup or
> >> dynamic allocation of IP etc), in which case it "should" be an address
> >> literal... So rejecting on an invalid domain (or address literal)
> >> SHOULD be quite OK;-).
> >
> > True, but if a system is using HELO instead of EHLO, anything goes.
> > There's no MUST in the requirements for HELO, merely SHOULD.
> >
> > ie: it is 100% in RFC spec to issue:
> >
> > HELO somerandomgarbage
> >
> > Although it is not in-spec to do that for EHLO, as you point out.
> >

> Note: I retract this based on RFC 1123, however, RFC 1123 does prohibit refusing
> mail based on HELO verifications.

On the contrary, if the domain name is malformed ... the return is
501;-). Look at the DISCUSSION, the second paragraph starting
"Note...".

The blurb about not rejecting based on verification is in regard to
(IP) address verification ... You're not prohibited to do an MX lookup
on the HELO string, but you're not allowed to reject based on that.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn