How to know if I'm blacklisted

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:26:33 GMT 2008

On 16/01/2008, Matt Kettler <mkettler at evi-inc.com> wrote:
(snip)
> The other part is your HELO is mail2.CANAL4. That really should be a valid
> hostname. It's technically not against the RFC's to spew garbage here, but it
> does show poor server administration, and some misguided sites seem to think
> HELO must be a valid hostname and filter such things (the RFC's merely say
> SHOULD, not MUST). You might want to fix the hostname your mailserver thinks of
> itself as.

Um, not misguided as in "that could be anything". At least 2821 is
pretty clear that the argument to EHLO (use of which is only a SHOULD
in conjunction with the stipulation that "if you don't use EHLO you
MUST use HELO", more or less) need be a FQDN, unless you are operating
in a situation where such isn't valid (no valid reverse lookup or
dynamic allocation of IP etc), in which case it "should" be an address
literal... So rejecting on an invalid domain (or address literal)
SHOULD be quite OK;-).

In reality, there might be a few admins that get this wrong. Bah,
couldn't care less, this drops a huge amount of spam for me.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn