OT: Web Mail Client

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 09:38:59 GMT 2008

Hi,

--- mailscanner at mckerrs.net wrote:

> I use the open source version of zimbra. It kicks
> outlook's ass.
>
> http://zimbra.com
>

> ----- "Julian Field" <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > OT as ever :-)
> > Check out roundcube. Lots of very clever
> Javascript.
> >
> > Phil Udel wrote:
> > > Can anyone suggest a Web Mail Client.  I have
> been using
> > SquirrelMail
> > > for years.
> > > Management wants a client with a Outlook fell.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I was looking at openwebmail but don;t
> > > really know that much about it.

I've been using OpenWebmail (OWM) for the last 7 years
and still use it to this day. There's not much to
really know about it. It's perl-based, works with mbox
files directly (no imap), it fast, has a web calendar,
web disk and can integrate virus scanning (like clamav
f.e.) into the system.

I don't care too much for "fat" clients and heaps of
bells and whistles. The web brings us the ability to
access data from anywhere in the world, and my
priority is speed, saving time in my life to do other
things than see eye candy.

That's not to say OWM doesn't look good, it does, but
that is to say it's fast, been around for so long, is
mature, stable and handles Webmail for clients of the
largest ISP's and ASP's in Australia (100,000+ email
accounts is normal).

Regards,

Michael.