Only sign outgoing messages rules revisited.

Greg Borders gborders at balanceconsult.com
Mon Jan 14 18:33:35 GMT 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Greg Borders wrote:
>
>> I'm looking into doing this, and I implemented this rule from the
>> examples:
>>
>> 3. Only sign outgoing messages
>> Set "Sign Clean Messages = /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/signing.rules".
>> If your messages come from "yourdomain.com", then try this:
>> From: 192.168. yes
>> FromOrTo: default no
>> where your network is the whole of 192.168.xxx.xxx.
>>
>> My subnet happens to match nicely with the examples.
>> However, it signs *all* outbound messages, even from in-house user to
>> other in-house user.
>> I'd like to eliminate the signing for all inhouse person-to person
>> mails.  I've tried several extra rules, but no success yet.  It just
>> keeps tagging all sent mail.
>>
>> I'd expect something like this to work:
>>  From: 192.168. yes
>> To:   192.168. no
>>
> You can't do "To", only "From" with IP addresses. The MTA doesn't know
> the IP address of the destination address until it has already
> successfully delivered the message, at which point it's a bit late to
> start testing things :-)
>
> To: yourdomain.com no
> FromOrTo: default yes
>
> is usually good enough, isn't it?
>
> Jules

Ahhh, that's a good tip to know.  Can't  IP's on "TO:"
This might be worth mentioning in the EXAMPLES file....

This is the final signing.rules that is now working for me for no
in-house signatures:

To:             domain.com                      no
From:           192.168.                        yes
FromOrTo:       default                         no

--

This email message and any document accompanying it may contain information intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.
NOTICE TO PERSONS SUBJECT TO UNITED STATES TAXATION: