MailScanner not scanning emails.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 16:18:02 GMT 2008

Lawrence Lam wrote:

> Problem 1:
>
> =============================
>
> Latest version of ClamAV and MailScanner installed OK but MailScanner
> is not scanning emails.
>

> This happens for both my RH9 and RHEL5 servers (both with WHM/cPanel).
>  I have been searching Google for days but could not solve the
> problem. I believe the solution is something very simple. Can somebody
> please show me the way?

You say it is not scanning. Is mail getting through? If so, you need to
do the 4 commands listed in your Problem 2.

> Problem 2:
>
> =============================
>
> At the end of MailScanner installation, it said I should do these:
>

> service sendmail stop
>
> chkconfig sendmail off
>
> chkconfig MailScanner on
>
> service MailScanner start
>

> But for all the 4 commands, all I got was "Command not found". I am
> using RHEL5. What to do?

Never use "su" on its own, as this will not set up the root environment
($PATH and others) correctly. *Always* type "su -" as this will set up
the $PATH correctly. Then you will find service and chkconfig on your path.

> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
>
> Lawrence Lam

Jules