{Disarmed} Re: Listen on different port

Ken Anderson ka at pacific.net
Mon Jan 7 16:18:46 GMT 2008

Devon Harding wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 10:36 AM, dnsadmin 1bigthink.com <dnsadmin at 1bigthink.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use the following in my sendmail.mc. Port 587 is a standard use
>> port defined in /etc/services and has really come in handy for
>> roaming users. Many hotel Internet access points block port 25!

snip

> Will it also accept mail on port 587 or is it just for submission?

You really should relay out through your ISP's mailserver. Your ISP will
not be blocking port 25 incoming, so your listening sendmail on port 25
should be able to receive mail from the Net just fine. Your ISP's block
on port 25 outgoing will not be worked around by setting up your
sendmail to listen on an additional port. You need to set smart host in
your sendmail.mc and rebuild sendmail.cf.
Ken
Pacific.Net