Txt file considered as program?

Ricky Boone ricky.boone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 03:34:39 GMT 2008

Budi Febrianto wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I see many emails quarantine in the mailscanner server because it have
> attachment that considered as program, but the attachment actually txt
> attachment.
>
> MailScanner: No programs allowed (msg-27290-704.txt)

You may want to verify the attachment is not an actual program or other
form of executable code.  The extension may be misleading, or
MailScanner may not be reporting the actual extension name (for example,
leaving the message with attachments encoded in the txt file).

I wouldn't recommend enabling programs or executables, even for just TXT
files, unless you are absolutely sure about their origin and have
limited the ruleset down accordingly.