[Maybe OT] - RFC compliance checking at session

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 21:40:06 GMT 2008

On 29/02/2008, Richard Frovarp <richard.frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu> wrote:
> Rick Cooper wrote:
>  >
>  >     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  >     *From:* mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
>
> >     [mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] *On Behalf Of
>  >     *Hostmaster
>  >     *Sent:* Friday, February 29, 2008 10:06 AM
>  >     *To:* MailScanner discussion
>  >     *Subject:* [Maybe OT] - RFC compliance checking at session
>  >
>  >     Hi All,
>  >
>  >     I would like to illicit some opinions from you other MailScanner
>  >     using MX-administrators. I know that there was some discussion on
>  >     list some time ago regarding session checking, particularly
>  >     HELO/EHLO checking, and its compliance against RFC 821, as
>  >     clarified and updated in 2821.
>  >
>  >     <rant>
>  >
>  >     We use Exim for both inbound and outbound message handling around
>  >     MailScanner, and on the inbound, some quite complex ACL's to
>  >     validate the session to try and cut down the amount of spam our
>  >     users get. The first check we run is to ensure that the HELO/EHLO
>  >     is an FQDN. We don't then validate if this FQDN can be resolved,
>  >     or even if it is valid, it just has to be host.domain.tld, and
>  >     this significantly cuts the number of RBL lookups we do. This
>  >     hasn't caused us any problems with rejecting valid mail until now.
>  >
>  >     One of our users complained that they were no longer receiving a
>  >     newsletter they signed up for. I managed to find it in the exim
>  >     reject logs, and sure enough, it was failing the host checking –
>  >     the EHLO it sends is "(server3549)", and exim declines the session
>  >     with a 550 – permanent reject for policy reasons.
>  >
>  >     Now comes the fun part. That 550 is not enough for the sender – it
>  >     ignores it and constantly retries the send, treating it more like
>  >     a 450, but not following any normal MTA retry period I can
>  >     establish. That would be enough for me to leave them blocked, but
>  >     checking further, the IP for that host has no RDNS, also a big
>  >     no-no in my opinion for a valid mail server, and the IP does not
>  >     accept return SMTP – indicating that it's probably a web server
>  >     and not an MTA itself. I even took the liberty of doing an
>  >     IPWhois, phoning the helpdesk of the company responsible for the
>  >     IP (only because they are UK based the same as us) and pointing
>  >     the problem out, only to be met with "yeah, we know about that,
>  >     it'll be fixed sometime next year when we put a new server in",
>  >     even after I pointed out that they wouldn't be getting successful
> [...]
No it's not.
Go read 1123 and 2821, and the thread I and Matt Kettler had a while
back on that very subject. Quite an easy check, and effective.
If one want's to play it safe, use the chack in conjunction with
greylisting (as a greylist criteria), to sort of both have and eat the
cake (wonder if I got that right...:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn