MailScanner 4.88.5-3 not being invoked by sendmail

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Mon Feb 25 17:41:54 GMT 2008

It's not a good idea to top-post.  That said, see below.

On Sunday 24 February 2008 8:10 pm, Mike Watson wrote:
> I'm not at the server at the moment, but I'll run the sequence below and
> record the result.  I have clamav and f-prot for anti-virus.  I do get
> intermittant log entries from sendmail not being able to bind to the
> port, but sendmail has been up everytime I check the port via telnet.
>
> I'm not a Perl guru.  Is there a FAQ about using CSPAN so I can load the
> missing modules?
>
> Mike W
> --
>
> "Lose not thy airspeed, lest the ground rises up and smites thee."
> ~  -- William Kershner
>
> Julian Field wrote:
> | I would start with this:
> |     1. Log in as root, or "su -" (the "-" is very important, without it
> | you don't get all of root's environment such as its "$PATH")
> |     2. chkconfig sendmail off
> |     3. chkconfig MailScanner on
> |     4. service sendmail stop
> |     5. service MailScanner restart
> | That will stop your mail bypassing MailScanner.
> |
> | I would also advise you install some more of the optional Perl modules,
> | you are missing rather a lot at the moment. It will catch more spam if
> | you install the missing modules. You don't need "SAVI" unless you're
> | using Sophos, and you only need "Mail::ClamAV" if you're using "Virus
> | Scanners = clamavmodule", and you won't need Net::LDAP. But other than
> | those, I would install the rest of them.
> |
> | If you have anything such as spamd running, you can switch that off.
> | MailScanner talks to SpamAssassin more efficiently than that daemon, so
> | it's just wasting resources at the moment if it's running.
> |
> | Mike Watson wrote:
> | > I've been using MailScanner for some years.  My old mail server
> | > (Fedora 3/MS 4.37.7-1/SA 3.0.4-2.fc3/sendmail 8.13) works fine but it
> | > is running out of room.  I built a new mail server running Fedora 7,
> | > MS 4.66.5-3, and Spamassassin 3.2.4-1.fc7 with sendmail 8.14.
> | >
> | > Sendmail works and I can send and receive mail through it.
> | > But---MailScanner, although returning a good status, is either not
> | > running or not being invoked.  There are no MailScanner or
> | > Spamassassin headers being added to e-mail, nor is there any info
> | > provided in maillog.
> | >
> | > I'm at a quandary.  The MS install appears to run correctly without
> | > error.  The customizations to the .conf files are the same as on the
> | > working box.  Is there another install step that I missed?
> | >
> | > Here is the output of MailScanner -v:
> | >

> | > [root at cygni ~]# MailScanner -v
> | > Running on
> | > Linux cygni.crucis.net 2.6.21-7.fc7xen #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 12:32:24 EST
> | > 2008 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
> | > This is Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
> | > This is Perl version 5.008008 (5.8.8)
> | >
> | > This is MailScanner version 4.66.5
> | > Module versions are:
> | > 1.00    AnyDBM_File
> | > 1.16    Archive::Zip
> | > 1.04    Carp
> | > 1.119   Convert::BinHex
> | > 2.27    Date::Parse
> [...]

To start the CPAN shell:

perl -MCPAN -e shell

If it's your first time running the shell, you'll have to do some set-up via
questions the shell asks.  Default values should be fine.

To install a module:

install <module name> (in some instances, "force install <module name>)

HTH.

believed to be clean.