RHEL 3, sendmail and lock type

Jens Ahlin mailing_lists+mailscanner at caleotech.com
Fri Feb 22 12:14:50 GMT 2008

> Jens Ahlin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the correct lock type to use for RHEL3 with sendmail
>> (sendmail-8.12.11-4.RHEL3.6) and Mailscanner 4.66.5 ? The doc say
>> sendmail
>>  <= 8.12 --> flock, sendmail > 8.12 --> posix.
>>
> http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2006-November/067124.html
>
> -tgc
> --

So what you are saying is that flock is the one to use. The reason for
asking is that broken queue files are building up in the mqueue.in
directory, only the df files are present not the qf files. I don't know if
this is related to a new problem causing messages to be delayed several
hours. ( in the maillog I see A LOT of "SpamAssassin cache hit for
message" for the messages that gets delayed. ) The server is not busy,
load average < 0.3. Mail is not lost, just delayed, the broken queue files
are all junk mail.

I have flock specified in MailScanner.conf. If I change to default value
"Lock Type = " mail is still processed and delivered using POSIX.

Any ideas ?

     Jens