HTML/Newsletters being received as unreadable code

--[ UxBoD ]-- uxbod at splatnix.net
Wed Feb 20 16:07:08 GMT 2008

Jules,

perhaps MS should not even start if that is the case ?

Regards,

--
--[ UxBoD ]--
// PGP Key: "curl -s http://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
// Phone: +44 845 869 2749 SIP Phone: uxbod at sip.splatnix.net

----- "Julian Field" <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Steve Freegard wrote:
>

>> Andrew Chester wrote:
>>
>>> X-Ukuvuma Solutions-MailScanner-From: support at kalahari.net
>>>
>>           ^^^
>>
>> There's your problem - you have spaces in your %org-name% setting in
>> MailScanner.conf.
>>

> While the space in %org-name% is wrong, it does not seem to be the
> cause of the problem.
>
> Here's what I see in the last few headers and body:

> content-transfer-encoding: base64
> content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> X-Ukuvuma Solutions-MailScanner-From: support at kalahari.net
>
> X-Ukuvuma Solutions-MailScanner-From: support at kalahari.net
>
> WW91ciBLYWxhaGFyaS5uZXQgcGFzc3dvcmQgaXMgODAwNjAwCi0tIApUaGlz
> IG1lc3NhZ2UgaGFzIGJlZW4gc2Nhbm5lZCBmb3IgdmlydXNlcyBhbmQKZGFu
> Z2Vyb3VzIGNvbnRlbnQgYnkgdGhlIFVrdXZ1bWEgQXBvbGxvIGdhdGV3YXkg
> YW5kIGlzCmJlbGlldmVkIHRvIGJlIGNsZWFuLgoK
>
> The two sets of MailScanner headers are curious, but it looks from the
> apollo.ukuvuma.co.za so it was probably scanned twice.
>
> The real problem is the empty lines preceeding each set of MailScanner
> headers. This causes the MailScanner headers to be part of the body
> which totally destroys the base64 encoding and results in the garbled
> message.
>
> I suspect that all base64 encoded messages get garbled this way and
> non-bas64 encoded messages show the MailScanner headers in the body.
>
> Perhaps someone with more MailScanner experience has a clue as to why
> the MailScanner headers are preceded by an empty line.

It's probably the MTA (or MailScanner) attempting to render the message
in a form correct for the next mail handling program it passes through.
There should always be a blank line after the last header. But I don't
guarantee what MailScanner will do if the headers end on an incomplete
line, as it never happens in real mail that hasn't been screwed by
something (in your case, the space in %org-name%).

The point about spaces in %org-name% is very clearly documented in the
MailScanner.conf file.

If you break that rule I make no guarantees what may happen to your mail.

I will add some more code to check for that and flag it very boldly in
the logs, and ensure that MailScanner --debug and MailScanner --lint
check for it too.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng