Spam Messages

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Wed Feb 20 11:34:16 GMT 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

>> I put these in my spam.assassin.prefs.conf file, at the bottom:
>>
>> #---added to kill chat spam, 2/15/2008
>> body     CHAT3 /Hello! I am/
>> describe CHAT3 chat spam3
>> score    CHAT3 5.0
>> body     CHAT4 /Please rate me/
>> describe CHAT4 chat spam4
>> score    CHAT4 5.0
>> body     CHAT5 /I am nice girl/
>> describe CHAT5 chat spam5
>> score    CHAT5 5.0
>> body     CHAT6 /I have found you/
>> describe CHAT6 chat spam6
>> score    CHAT6 5.0
>>
>> Most are killed by CHAT3 + CHAT5 quite nicely.
>
> So is a lot of regular mail. Pffff.... Be carefull adding oneliners like this
> and scoring it 5.

Not true.  My spam threshold is 6, discard is 10.  I've had zero
false positives.  All but one message that have been flagged by these
rules were CHAT3+CHAT5, score > 10 (avg about 13)... discarded.  The
remaining one message triggered CHAT4, plus a bunch of regular SA
stuff to get a 13.76.

My one reservation was doing body SA rules, extra CPU cycles.  But I had
a lot of people complaining about the "I am tired/bored/lonely" spams and
these rules silenced the complaints.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College