"Is Definitely Spam" rule not working ?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:42:52 GMT 2008

On 05/02/2008, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Glenn Steen wrote:

> >> OK, I have included some MailScanner::Log::InfoLog in Config.pm to see
> >> what happens.
> >> All the clientip are 127.0.0.1 :-(
> >>
> >> Whitelisting is working because the check is done on the From address
> >> and not on the client IP.
> >> The blacklisting, in that case doesn't work because it's an IP address.
> >>
> >> So, we can't use before-filter with Postifx and MailScanner and hope
> >> that the white or black listing will work with IP addresses even we
> >> use the smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts.
> >>
> >> Is that right ?
> >>

> > Yes, AFAICS. Unless we ask Jules nicely to facilitate "disregarding"
> > loopback when determining the ip... Perhaps a bit like SA does it
> > (with the trust thing).
> >
> I can't do that. MailScanner directly reads the IP address of the TCP/IP
> connection source, it doesn't involve looking at the headers of the
> message at all.

True. Bummer. That completely defeats any such "smtp base pre-filters"
to work (any MTA) in conjunction with IP-based rulesets. Really bad,
that... since using the email to/from address for WL is so...
spoofable...:(.
Oh well, Pascal will have to look at the milter route then... Or let
MS do all AV...

> >> If yes, what's the use of smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts (to be
> >> posted on the postfix list also) ?
> >>
> > Good question. Perhaps one (Jules) could use that...:).
> > BTW, wear your asbetos underwear when telling the pf-list your
> > problem... they seriously dislike MS... still...:(.
> >
> Don't expect to get anything useful from the Postfix list about MailScanner.
Hehe, we know what they'll say:-). And what other product they'll tote...:/.

Cheers
--
-- Glenn