Increased load

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Dec 9 16:52:18 GMT 2008

on 12-9-2008 2:53 AM Rabie Van der Merwe spake the following:

> I can try that, but what I need to speed as I do high volume email.
> How does clamd compare to clamavmodule?
>
> I still have the issue with increased load on the later releases; I
> would like to resolve that first before I make architecture changes.
>
> Regards
> Rabie

The newer versions of MailScanner are needed with the latest version of clam.
4.72.5 or later ONLY works with clam 0.94 + . If you revert to older clam, you
also need to revert to older mailscanner.

<Quote>

1/11/2008 New in Version 4.72.5-1
=================================
* New Features and Improvements *
1 Added support for ClamAV 0.94. Note that this has necessitated removal of
  complete support for earlier versions of ClamAV as the command-line settings
  are incompatible. So only use this version if you have upgraded to the latest
  ClamAV 0.94.
<snip>

</quote>

It is a minor change to run clamd. You can get clamd running and make all the
config changes first. Then you only have to change the line "virus scanners ="
in mailscanner.conf to get it using clamd. That way you can test clamd, and
set up whatever monitoring you want to do to make sure it stays running before
you depend on the daemon to catch the nasties.

>> --
>> -- Glenn
>> email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
>> work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
>> --

>> --

>> ---------
>> NOTICE
>> ---------
>>
>> This message (including attachments) contains privileged and
> confidential
>> information intended only for the person or entity to which it is
> addressed.
>>
>> Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copy or other use of, or
> taking
>> of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities
> other
>> than the intended recipient, is prohibited.
>>
>> If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately
>> by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the material
> from
>> any computer.
>>
>> Metropolitan Health Group, its subsidiaries or associates, does not
> accept
>> liability for any personal views expressed in this message.
>>
>> Metropolitan Health Group
>> PO Box 4313 Cape Town 8000 Tel: (021) 480 4511 Fax: (021) 480 4535
>> www.mhg.co.za

> I'd suggest moving to clamd so you don't have the clammodule
> compatibility problems. I've been running a clamd system since the MS
> beta's first came out with clamd support with no issues what so-ever.

> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Oxford, UK

> ---------
> NOTICE
> ---------

> This message (including attachments) contains privileged and
> confidential information intended only for the person or entity to which
> it is addressed.

> Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copy or other use of, or
> taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient, is prohibited.

> If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the
> material from any computer.

> Metropolitan Health Group, its subsidiaries or associates, does not
> accept liability for any personal views expressed in this message.

> *Metropolitan Health Group*
> PO Box 4313 Cape Town 8000 Tel: (021) 480 4511 Fax: (021) 480 4535
> www.mhg.co.za <http://www.mhg.co.za/>

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!