adhere to all of the RFCs

Stephen Swaney steve at fsl.com
Thu Dec 4 14:11:26 GMT 2008

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Simon.walter at hp-factory.de wrote on Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:44:45 -0000 (UTC):
>

>> which points to an A record...
>> ... like CNAMEs are dangerous.
>>

> It doesn't matter what it is. The point is that RFC doesn't like it for MX
> records. That should be very well known to any server admin. And so some
> mailservers don't accept mail from such sources.
> I personally cannot see any connection between this and the chance of
> getting spam from that source. It's a good example of an anti-spam measure
> that is counter-productive. But you have to live with it and it's easy to
> fix it.
>
> Kai

Sorry I changed the thread subject but it was so far off topic that . . . .

There is a principal here that most sites and programs that attempt to
stop spam have been adopting. Simply put, it is:

Sites that send email should understand and adhere to all of the RFCs
which address email transmission and delivery.

It's one of the ways a receiving site can use to determine if the sender
is someone that you want to accept email from.

I expect this trend to continue. And it's not unreasonable, when over
90% of all email is spam, that  you should know how to correctly set up
and administer an email system if you want people to accept your messages.

Steve

Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com
www.fsl.com