OT - EMEW (Enhanced Message-ID as Email Watermark) breaks pipermail threading

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 31 18:41:42 IST 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 08:19:53AM +0200, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>>> I think that the following header detection lines in postfix will spot
>>> and reject this specific RFC violation for me:
>>>
>>> #       RFC2822 violations
>>> /^References:.*<EMEW-[\-\.0-9A-Za-z]*@vanderkooij.org>/ REJECT  Your
>>> MessageID modifications of my MessageID violate RFC 2822 section 3.6.4
>>> /^In-Reply-To:.*<EMEW-[\-\.0-9A-Za-z]*@vanderkooij.org>/        REJECT
>>> Your MessageID modifications of my MessageID violate RFC 2822 section 3.6.4
>>

>> Rejecting because of the In-Reply-To: is probably OK for what you intend,
>> but rejecting because of the References: is likely accusing an innocent
>> 3rd party.
>
>I guess both expressions might be better if I use the non-greedy
>version. But with the limitations I use and each MessageID being
>correctly wrapped up in <> and seperated with a folding whitespace the
>whitespace will not be allowed as part of the regex.
>
>In fact I might be missing cases where the abused MessageID is not on
>the exact line where the two indicated headers are. I guess that postfix
>actually joins things back to one line. But that is a reasonable guess
>and not something I can determine for sure based on the manual page (man
>5 header_check)

The man page says "Note: message headers are examined one logical
header at a  time,  even when a message header spans multiple lines."
It seems clear to me that this is saying the the header is unfolded
before matching against the regexp.

However, are you missing my original point?

The Message-Id: of your message has been munged by some agent in the
delivery path to the person who generated the reply with the munged
message id in the In-Reply-To: header. That person may have control
over the agent that did the munging, but subsequent replies in the
thread which include the munged message id in References: are
generated by people who have no involvement, even indirectly, with the
agent that munged the message id.