DSNs from bigfoot.com are quarantined

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Aug 30 12:27:55 IST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 09:41:36PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> I am putting out a new beta as I type, with improved message/partial
>> code in it. This should solve this problem with bigfoot.com DSNs.
>>
>> Please try this out and let me know how you get on.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jules
>>

> I have just installed the 4.71.8-1 beta, and this is better, but there
> is now a different problem.
>
> The message delivered to the recipient is fine. the message/partial part
> has been removed and replaced with the attachment warning which says

> The original e-mail attachment "msg-26216-5.msg"
> was believed to be infected by a virus and has been replaced by this warning
> message.
>
> If you wish to receive a copy of the *infected* attachment, please
> e-mail postmaster at sbh16.songbird.com and include the whole of this message
> in your request.
>
> At Fri Aug 29 10:01:35 2008 the virus scanner said:
>    Fragmented messages cannot be scanned and are removed
>
> Note to Postmaster: Look on the GPC MailScanner in /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20080829 (message 6C1E46900AA.4FC5C).
>

> However, in the quarantine, the directory 20080829/6C1E46900AA.4FC5C is
> created but it is empty.

That's because the part of the message isn't ever actually extracted
into an attachment, it is just an "entity" in the MIME structure of the
message, as opposed to being a real attachment. So I don't think there's
much I can do about this. You could add some text on the end of the
"Fragmented messages cannot be scanner and are removed" text that said
that it was not quarantined, but I'm not quite sure what else we can do
about this particular problem.

When it comes down to it, bigfoot shouldn't be doing this, they are
using a wholly inappropriate message structure for their DSNs.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM