AW: AW: Not completely OT: Does this affect MailScanner users on RH/FC/CentOS?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 09:44:36 IST 2008

2008/8/29 Christopher J. Buckley <chris at cjbuckley.net>

> Ehle, Roland wrote:
>
>> Partially agree, but we were not talking about encouraging
>> people to compile their own perl. For all other cases:
>>
>> Read the patient information leaflet and ask your doctor or pharmacist
>> about risks and side effects. :-)
>>

> :-)
>
> I do think this should be made clear on the wiki article - ie, your vendors
> ability to support you *will* decrease - if you choose to re-compile.
>
> Yes, but *your* ability to *help yourself* will increase:-D.
People running CentOS and FC generally don't have expensive support
contracts... So your objection on that isn't relevant (sorry:-)... For RH,
the gut reaction should of course be to carp to support. But if you have the
skill, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to replace your distribution
perl... It's not like it's part of the OS proper;-). Yes, there will be
tools that MIGHT malfunction, but then ... so it is with any update....:-)

BTW, just tested on a few versions of Mandriva (including 2008.1) and none
are affected by this problem. Sometimes the kinship between Rh and Mdv isn't
that close anymore:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn