startin, startout, stopms

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:18:47 IST 2008

>> I'm getting hammered today and my input queue just keeps growing and
>> growing. I'd like to stop the input queue from receiving more mail but
>> still process what's there using MS. What option do I give my
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner command to accomplish this?

You'd have to stop the INCOMING SMTP sendmail (there are 2 instances
usually).

With postfix you cannot do that easily, because postfix both accepts new
INCOMING as does it sent already MailScanner-processes mail.
But you could shutdown postfix, let MS process the mail, and afterwards
restart postfix so all processed mail will be sent in one go.

Cheers,
Ronny