yum upgrade trouble

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Mon Aug 18 16:09:17 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Neil Wilson wrote:
>> Stephen Swaney wrote:
>>  > We'll shortly be announcing a version of MailScanner with all related
>>> applications that is completely rpm based using our own yum
>>> repositories. MailScanner, SpamAssassin, Razor ClamAV, DCC and Bayes
>>> (using Postgres) will all be installed on CentOS 5 / RH 5 simply by
>>> running:
>>>
>>>    yum -y groupinstall MailScannerGold
>>>
>>> Best of all of the Perl Packages and all of their dependencies are
>>> separated from the system libraries. This allows MailScanner and the
>>> related applications as well as the system itself to be safely
>>> updated by simply running;
>>>
>>>      yum -y update
>>>
>>> Now more Perl conflicts since our schema eliminates all of the Perl
>>> related problems.
>>>
>>> This will be a subscription based service with IP based secure keys
>>> required to access the repositories. Along with access to the
>>> repositories, subscribers will receive reduced support hourly rates.
>>>
>>> It will be available for testing very shortly. What do you think?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> I think that's awesome, what about building Mailwatch into this also?
>>
>> Obviously MW hasn't changed in a while though, but at least it's all
>> done in just one command.
> Fort Systems Ltd would probably prefer you bought DefenderMX instead?

MailWatch doesn't provide all the features of DefenderMX, just the
reporting and quarantine functions.  I'm actually building MW 2.0 into
the repository as we speak as it's part of DefenderMX 2.0 anyway, so
will be available for anyone using the repos.  Plus it needs more
testers anyway.

The repo doesn't just do 'regular' RPM stuff - I've spent considerable
time on a number of the packages and added RPM 'triggers' to them (hence
the requirement for CentOS 5) to automatically configure MailScanner,
SpamAssassin, ClamAV etc. as dependencies are installed, for example:

%triggerin -- clamd
echo "fsl-mailscanner install trigger: clamd"
perl -pi - /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf <<EOF
s+^Incoming Work Group =.*+Incoming Work Group = clamav+i;
s+^Incoming Work Permissions =.*+Incoming Work Permissions = 0640+i;
s+^Clamd Socket =.*+Clamd Socket = /tmp/clamd.socket+i;
s+^Virus Scanners = auto+Virus Scanners = clamd+i;
EOF

This allows for optional RPMs to configure other packages on
installation automatically and to clean up on uninstallation of packages
automatically.

Cheers,
Steve.