yum upgrade trouble

Tom G. Christensen tgc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon Aug 18 07:54:15 IST 2008

Koopmann, Jan-Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after installing MailScanner via install.sh my yum upgrade gives me
> trouble:
>
> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Temp.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-File-Temp-0.20-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
> perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3
>   file /usr/share/man/man3/bigint.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-bignum-0.23-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
> perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3
>   file /usr/share/man/man3/bignum.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-bignum-0.23-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
> perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3
>
> etc. Any ideas? Is this related to install.sh installing its own perl
> modules in any way?

Don't know for sure but could be, since install.sh likes to use --force
to replace files that are part of other packages.
Hugo van der Kooij is maintaining a yum repo that attempts to solve this
problem.
Most of the info is in the list archives but you can have a look at
http://yum.vanderkooij.org/ for a bit of info.

To solve your immediate problem you can manually install the perl update
with rpm -Uvh --force, just make sure the conflicting files are innocent
ones like the manpages listed above. Otherwise you risk finding yourself
with a broken MailScanner.

-tgc