Sendmail: Number of queue runners?

John Goggan jgoggan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:05:16 IST 2008

shuttlebox <shuttlebox <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:02 PM, John Goggan <jgoggan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is that how it should be?  Almost all of the documentation or guides that I
> > could find for setting up MailScanner with sendmail don't seem to mention
that
> > second queue runner for mqueue.  And, as I said, I ran for years without it
> > (and likely missed sending some delayed emails now and then that were never
> > retried).  I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something.
>
> It's documented here: http://mailscanner.info/sendmail.html. Most
> package based install should take care of it as well.

Interesting.  It is indeed documented there.  Can you tell me how you get to
that page through any of the MailScanner documentation?  I see links in the
docs for everything except that sendmail page.  Using Google's link search, I
could find no sites on the web that link to that page actually.

On a side note, even that page is a bit odd though -- because it implies that
you'd then have 2 sendmail processes when, in fact, most would then have 3.
That page doesn't mention recent sendmail -- which would be running a
clientmqueue also.

But, yes, at least it is documented somewhere.  None of the non-MailScanner
sites that I could find for installing MailScanner with sendmail under Gentoo,
for example (and even some non-Gentoo specific ones) mentioned that extra queue
runner at all.  They all document the change so that they go to mqueue.in
in "queueonly" mode -- and a 2nd sendmail for a queue runner for handling
clientmqueue, but nothing about another queue runner for mqueue.

In any case, please let me know if that page is linked from anywhere, because I
didn't see anything in the MailScanner docs that would have taken someone there
that was trying to use MailScanner and sendmail.

Thanks!

 - John...