Sendmail: Number of queue runners?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Aug 13 20:02:37 IST 2008

John Goggan wrote:
> I have been using MailScanner with a sendmail configuration for years now.
> Today, I noticed that I had about 30 messages in my /var/spool/mqueue directory
> that had not been delivered -- some of which were over a month old.  After some
> research, it appears that almost all of them were to server that do
> greylisting -- so all of these were the deferred messages.
>
> Basically, I don't see anything that would be watching mqueue for these
> messages and attempting to redeliver them.  Should I have another queue runner
> for mqueue?  We've always run like this:
>
> One sendmail for incoming email that goes to mqueue.in:
>
> sendmail -bd -L sm-mta -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly -
> OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in
>
> And one sendmail queue runner for local/clientmqueue:
>
> sendmail -Ac -q15m -L sm-cm
>
> We use Mailscanner with the "Delivery Method = batch" setting, so my
> understanding is that that means that MailScanner will take care of the
> messages after they get to mqueue.
>
> This works fine -- except where there is a problem.  It appears that nothing
> ever retries them.  Is that correct?
>
> As a solution, I've added another sendmail queue runner for mqueue:
>
> sendmail -q15m -L sm-mq
>
> So, I now have three sendmails: one daemon listening on 25 and putting mail in
> mqueue.in, one queue runner for local mail in clientmqueue, and one queue
> runner for mail that might hang out in mqueue if it doesn't go the first time
> MailScanner tells it to go.
>
> Is that how it should be?  Almost all of the documentation or guides that I
> could find for setting up MailScanner with sendmail don't seem to mention that
> second queue runner for mqueue.  And, as I said, I ran for years without it
> (and likely missed sending some delayed emails now and then that were never
> retried).  I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

Yes, we use a third queue runner as well. We have several clients we do
"scrubbing" for acting as a front end for their in house Exchange
servers. Several of those clients have <unamed poorly functioning
security devices> which they cannot seem to figure out how to whitelist
my MailScanner servers through. So our MailScanner servers become
greylisted and the messages do not go through.

Currently we run a cron task that pulls them out once and hour and drops
them into a slow queue we process once every four hours.

DAve

--
Don't tell me I'm driving the cart!