mailscanner in ISP

Leonardo Helman mailscanner at lists.com.ar
Thu Aug 7 18:39:23 IST 2008

The blacklists are (usually) not very effective
for the outbound spam (IMHO).

They are your own clients, they are paying for that,
that is, if you don't have an open relay, and they can't
send mails directly outside your outbound mta.
or something like that, the output IP will be the output
of your own MTA, and all your clients will have a typical
dynamic ip address (that will eventually change between them),
so if you blacklist by an external dynamic ip blacklist, you will
be blacklisting (eventually) the wrong customers.

Here the problem, I thing, is a legal problem, what are
the conditions that the client paid for, and with that
what you can do to stop them (some isp are unwilling to
ratelimit or things like that).

My first choice would be to set a rate for the outgoing
mail, so the clients shouldn't spam enough.

That's not always feasible, think big customers without
IP/MTA, they will send all their "internal communications"
by your MTA.

So I think my order would be ratelimit, spamtraps, and a good trained
(rules and/or bayes) spamassassin, lots of scripts to automatically add
internal ip's to own blacklists