Spamassassin is slow - any tips or good commercial alternative?

Richard Lynch rich at mail.wvnet.edu
Sat Aug 2 15:15:19 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Richard Lynch wrote:
>> Julian Field wrote:

>>> Get an evaluation licence for BarricadeMX from Fort Systems
>>> (www.fsl.com). This is a *very* good anti-spam system that costs
>>> less than any of the other decent commercial alternatives. Even an
>>> old server should be able to handle near 1 million SMTP connections
>>> per day without any difficulty. Put MailScanner and SpamAssassin
>>> behind it to clean up what it misses and you have a *superb* system
>>> for very little money.
>>>
>>> They do 30 day eval licences for free so you can try it out. It's
>>> very quick to deploy and test, and they will happily help you with
>>> that, as will I.
>>>
>>> Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.
>>>
>>> Jules
>>>
>> I can give a strong "seconded" to this suggestion.   Take a look in
>> the archives at my post on 7/23/2007 for a testament of our
>> experiences.  That was version 1.0, they are up to version 2.1 now.
>> It's a fine product with excellent support.
>>
>> My 2c,
> And one more comment from my users. After I deployed BarricadeMX in
> addition to my MailScanner setup, my users just reported that "all of
> a sudden, what little spam there was just stopped, completely". I now
> reject about 96% of incoming mail, and I have some very idle MXs as
> BarricadeMX handles about 94% of the incoming mail without ever
> letting it in the front door.
>
> If you want more references from some of my users, just ask and I'll
> pick random people for comments. They like it!
>
> Jules

I can't resist one "final" comment.  Before I deployed BMX I was running
on 5 overloaded MS/SA boxes.   The mail queues were regularly behind by
several 1,000 messages and I was looking at buying yet another box to
spread the load out.   We opted to go with BMX instead.  The system load
and backlog immediately went away.  I'm now considering dropping back to
3 production boxes, a 4th for a test system, and actually dropping
maintenance on the 5th.  We're now rejecting +95% of all inbound mail as
spam.  92-93% of that is stopped by BMX, the remainder is flagged by
SA.  I could easily double the amount of inbound messages and still be
OK.  BMX drops in on a MS-SA box extremely easily.   Another great thing
about using BMX as a front end is that bounces/notification occurs on
the sending side since the message is never accepted in the first
place.  Quietly deleting detected spam with a SA only solution puts the
burden on you to diagnose why a message was rejected.   I also found
that I could turn bayes in SA off completely.   It was no longer
detecting enough to justify using it.  SA with bayes turned on is a huge
load on the system.  And best of all, I got my life back.  The amount of
effort I spent dealing with overloaded boxes, FPs, etc was astounding.
I could hardly take time off etc because of having to deal with issues.
I'm actually posting this from a weeks vacation.  There hasn't been a
single issue all week long.  Everything just works!

The reason I keep going on and on about this is because it's such a
great, low cost solution for filtering.  I'm not associated with the
company in any way other than as a customer.  I think it's a near
perfect solution for those with a significant volume of e-mail and
overloaded servers.

A little more than 2c,
Richard Lynch
WVNET