dying children?

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at technologytiger.net
Fri Aug 1 14:50:57 IST 2008

On 1 Aug 2008, at 14:36, Julian Field wrote:

> Drew Marshall wrote:

>>> The most likely culprit is HTML::Parser, but I have direct
>>> evidence to back that. I just know that it's in the HTML parsing
>>> where it falls over. Does HTML::Parser contain any non-Perl code?
>>

>> Jules
>>
>> I seem to get a number of, what I think are, these types of mail
>> that choke MS and hold the child process up until it times out. Is
>> there any way that a mail that causes this sort of time out to be
>> automatically quarantined? Perhaps by changing the scan time out
>> from a batch time out to a message time out?
>>
>> The problem that I see is that if a batch has 10 messages in it
>> (Often mainly Spam) 1 of the messages chokes spam scanning, the
>> whole batch times out and lets the all the other spam messages
>> through for delivery.
> It's not a timeout issue. If it hits this, it brings the entire Perl
> system crashing down. Wrapping it in an eval and timeout may not
> help. It would certainly add more overhead.
>
> I am open to all suggestions though!

Ahh, I see. Can I request this anyway? I am seeing a number of time
outs (Like upwards of 50 since midnight today!) from SpamAssassin
which I just can't diagnose. The problem message always seems to stop
at the point it starts running body checks (Or at least that's the
line it displays last before hanging). I have done all the usual stuff
but as I can't easily capture the problem messages as they are
delivered after the time out limit is hit, I am struggling to put them
somewhere for some expert help.

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous
 content by Technology Tiger's Mail Launder system <www.mail-launder.com>

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ