Ubuntu - sendmail problem

Rick Bragg lists at gmnet.net
Tue Apr 29 00:43:00 IST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 00:08 +0200, shuttlebox wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Rick Bragg <lists at gmnet.net> wrote:
> > Thanks,
> >
> >  I basically didn't do anything special at all, I just downloaded and
> >  installed the latest ubuntu 8.04 64bit server version, then did apt-get
> >  install mailscanner, then went through the config file and that is it.
> >  I prefer to use sendmail, clamav, spamassassin, mailwatch as my combo of
> >  systems.  I just don't know how to fire up MailScanner with sendmail.
> >  MailScanner is working great, its just not firing up sendmail, sendmail
> >  is working great, its just that nothing is being scanned.
> >
> >  How can I use MailScanner with sendmail on ubuntu?
>
> The version packaged for Ubuntu (4.58) is really old. I would rather
> go with the generic tar dist from the MailScanner site. There's good
> instructions to follow to get it running as well. It clearly states
> what you need to modify to run Sendmail.
>
> --
> /peter

I would much rather stay with the ubuntu package manager (apt-get) if I
can, I already have lots of stuff to manage and I don't have any hard
core customizations. The standard install simply does not work for me,
and I just did a brand new ubuntu install...  I think that it should be
fairly simple to set up, but would rather not re-invent anything and
install from tar.  I can't believe that I am the first to try to set
this up with Ubuntu.

All I need is some direction and advice, maybe I missed a config setting
or something.  Has anybody done this with Ubuntu, sendmail, just using
the apt-get installs?

rick