White-list address ignored

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 22 21:14:13 IST 2008

Jim Dickenson wrote:
> I am running:
>
> This is CentOS release 4.5 (Final)
> This is Perl version 5.008005 (5.8.5)
> This is MailScanner version 4.58.9
>

> I have this set:
>
> Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules
>

> In the rules file I have a line like this:
>
> From:           addr at sbcglobal.net   yes
>
> The three elements are separated with tabs
>

> I got an email where the MailScanner-From header shows this address but it
> was not white-listed.
>
> I ran MailScanner --lint and did not have any errors.
>
> What might cause this.
>
> I see there is an argument --to=<address> and I thought maybe it test the
> address against the various rule sets. I am not sure what the purpose of
> that option is but it did not show anything what helped me figure out what
> might be wrong.
>
> Any ideas as to what to look at?

Run "MailScanner --help" and you will get this, which explains how to
use --to in conjunction with --from and --value.

Usage:
MailScanner [ -h|-v|--debug|--debug-sa|--lint ] |
            [ -c|--changed ] |
            [ --id=<message-id> ] |
            [ --inqueuedir=<dir-name|glob> ] |
            [--value=<option-name> --from=<from-address>
             --to=<to-address>,    --to=<to-address-2>, ...]
             --ip=<ip-address>,    --virus=<virus-name> ]
            <MailScanner.conf-file-location>

This should tell you whether the ruleset is right or not. In normal
rulesets, it doesn't matter if they are spaces or tabs or any
combination thereof. The only place you have to use tabs is in
filename.rules.conf and filetype.rules.conf.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM